Monday, March 5, 2012

Quick Tip: Making Thumbnails

Did you know there are a few really easy ways to create thumbnails? Thumbnails are great for your preview or you might also want them for a blog post. There are several other ways to create thumbnails, but these are my favorites:

  • If you are on a PC, use your snipping tool. This is a little scissors that you  can find in your accessories folder. Once you find it, you will see how easy it is to use. I use mine so often that I have it pinned to my toolbar. I think that Mac has something similar.
  • If you want to make thumbnails of a whole bunch of pages and don't care about arranging them into a cute design, use the zoom feature to zoom out so that you can see several pages on the screen, then use the snipping tool above to snip a large group of o pages. 
  • If you create in PowerPoint, you can simply save your slides as JPGs. Super easy. 
Of course you can also do a screen shot and then crop in paint, but I think the snipping tool is much faster and easier. One last tip: be sure to give your thumbnails meaningful names. Search engines pick up on images just like they do text, so the name you give your thumbnail can actually drive traffic to your product or blog post. 


5 comments:

  1. Never even thought about the names I give my thumbnails. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel,

    Macs have the "Grab" tool. :>D

    Cheers,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for mentioning the snipping tool! I can't believe how much time I've wasted with printscreen and paint!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tip about naming your thumbnails. That's something I hadn't given much thought to. Thank you!!

    Amy
    Happy Teacher Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still confused. I'm new here and new to TpT this week. I get how to use the snipping tool, but then am I saving the thumbnail separate from the document I'm uploading?? Or do I save it as part of the document? I'm also still confused about whether or not we can use clip-art and where everyone else gets these incredibly adorable thumbnails. Can you talk more about this? It would be super helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, questions? Please share!