Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Year of Sales on TpT

This chart is a roughly shows my sales over the course of the last year (June 1, 2010 - June 11, 2011). I am posting it here for a few reasons.

First, for those of you who haven't been around for a full year and are feeling discouraged by poor sales, here is proof of the sales slump that TpT sees every summer. Fortunately, when you look ahead to August and September, things pick up significantly. Sales dip again in December for the holidays and a bit in April because of spring break and testing.

Second, sponsored slots in the weekly TpT newsletter are a good thing, as long as you choose your product carefully. That said, that first line is a bit of an anomaly because I was lucky enough to get to participate in the first set of sponsored slots - it was new, so lots of people clicked. The other taller lines are also from Newsletter slots and are more typical.

Third, in mid February I raised prices on almost all my products, sometimes quite significantly. Sales did not decline. I tweaked them a little more in mid March. Don't be afraid to sell your products for what they are worth!

Some other bits of interesting information:

I sold well over twice as many products this year (June-June) as I did last year - TpT is growing rapidly!

Last calendar year (Jan-Dec), I was #6 on TpT for products sold. However, I have lost some ground to the K-1 sellers since then and am probably closer to #18 now or possibly even further down the list.

I have 81 products for sale on TpT (and a bunch of freebies). My sales seem to follow the 80/20 rule to some extent - about 80% of my sales come from about about 20% of my products (15 or so best sellers). Some of  those 81 products have less than ten sales. I have another chart that shows the sales of each product.

If you are wondering how to make these handy-dandy charts, you start by exporting your data from the TpT sales page to an Excel document (there is a button to do this at the bottom of the page). Then, if you are me, you get your math-genius boyfriend to make cool charts for you. Another option is to contact TpT seller Derrick Brown, who will give you a customized report about your sales with all kinds of neat stuff for $25.

7 comments:

  1. Rachel, Your data is very interesting to see in graphic form. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the notes you "wrote in" on the graphic! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much - very informative! Makes me feel better about the summer slump. I'm loving the free time now to "create and wait" for fall. I'm definitely going to spring for a sponsored slot. I've been so hesitant to do that but your chart is the proof that it works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing. Even though I know summer sales are slow, it helps to know you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Create and Wait" is a good mantra for TpT. But sales do come!

    Spanish Plans - I used my Bamboo pen to do the write in comments. It is a fun toy, but I am not great at writing with it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all of the tips! I just started selling on TpT:) I have a question for you, I have tried to get the link for my "store" on my blog but have not had any luck. I used to use HTML in website design, but that did not help me either. If you are able/ willing to share any advice, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome information!! Thanks!! Grabbed your button!
    Ann Marie Smith

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, questions? Please share!